Welcome to the Real Foods in Raleigh Blog!

Thanks for stopping by the Real Foods in Raleigh Blog! This blog is my space to share recipes and thoughts on real foods in our real little family living in Southwest Raleigh. Just take off your shoes at the door and make yourself at home...

Friday, May 27, 2011

Deviled Eggs with Yogurt!

I had a going away party for my friend Amy last night. I wanted to make devilled eggs, but was in sort of a hurry and didn't have time to make my own mayonnaise. I checked the ingredients of the different bottles of mayo at Whole Foods (even organic ones) and did not find any with acceptable ingredients, so I decided to make my devilled eggs with yogurt. When I got home from the store and searched online, I indeed found recipes similar to what I wanted to make. My recipe is based on this one from Group Recipes.

Guests at the party raved about these devilled eggs. I used fresh dill from my new little container garden which I planted this week. I purchased the free-range eggs from Rare Earth Farms at the State Farmer's Market. I buy most of my free range eggs from vendors at the State Farmer's Market and from my favorite source, Spain Farm located here in Raleigh. Anyway, here is my recipe:

12 hard boiled eggs
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
dash cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped, plus more for garnish

Cut eggs in half lengthwise then remove yolks and set whites aside.

Mash yolks with a fork then blend in remaining ingredients.
Refill whites using 1 tablespoon yolk mixture for each egg half, or you can pipe the yolk mixture into the whites to make a more decorative look. Garnish with paprika and dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment